Sunday, March 27, 2016

The super sentence - a metacognitive framework for developing speech and writing

In my last post I mentioned that I have been experimenting with metacognition in my classroom. As part of this experiment, I have created a series of questions which I keep on display at the back of my room. I use this display as a script to encourage better thinking during lessons. My questions are categorised under the following headings: prediction, comprehension, connections, analysis, application and reflection.
Through time I have noticed that for development of extended speech and writing, pupils benefit from being encouraged to analyse long passages of language and to break it into usable chunks or building blocks before rebuilding independently to suit their purpose. I use the idea of a hurricane ripping through a paragraph, scattering bits and pieces of sentences across the classroom and pupils needing to rebuild it like a destroyed village!
It was clear to me that my learners needed a framework to help them to rebuild and I, therefore, developed the idea of the super sentence. 
When I teach a new topic, I deliver new vocabulary and grammar concepts in this order. My students know that a series of super sentences when connected together using joining words equals a paragraph and more than one paragraph equals an essay. Using this method gives all pupils a basic framework that they can rely on, but when they are ready they can 'GCSE - ify' their work by varying their tenses, extending their opinions and using GCSE expressions. These expressions are on display in my classroom at all times. 
When pupils are asked to break an extended piece of reading material into pieces for reuse in class, I often give them a language detective sheet like this one. 

This approach does seem to give my learners confidence. It would be good to hear from people who do something similar or if you try something like this in your classroom.
Thanks for reading! Becky  BexK06



No comments:

Post a Comment